A Gator in Dar Es Salaam

"Ex Africa semper aliquid novi - Out of Africa always something new" -Pliny the Elder

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Arrival

I have made it to Dar Es Salaam. 2 days after leaving Jacksonville I have arrived. I had a great time at the Dubai Airport although I didnt sleep so I have not slept since Wednesday night. The simply sleep pills are calling my name. My ride at the airport was not there but I talked to them and they told me to just take a cab to campus, there arent lanes on the roads, so the driving is pretty interesting. It is not as hot here as I thought, and their is a nice breeze. My room is on the 3rd floor and has a pretty good view of the city as well as the monkeys outside, and the one baboon who lives on campus. I am relieved to finally be here, the airport in Dar was pretty nice, probably 75% of the plane from Dubai got off in Nairobi so it was pretty empty for the final leg. Last night in Dubai I talked to a Norwegian who had been in Iran for a month, a British couple going to see their son in Colombo Sri Lanka, a British women going to open a shop with Indian husband in India and some Saudi Arabians decked out in there white garb with the red sat down next to me and offerred me peanuts or cashews or something and they proceeded to get intoxicated on American whiskey. Dubai is by far the most diverse place I have ever seen, many women in the full Muslim dress with just their eyes showing, a planeload of Koreans going to Egypt and all kinds of people. I guess I am going to go get settled but wanted to let everyone know that I made it here safely and have had a great time so far. My cabdriver did not speak much english, so it was a quiet ride to campus. haha.

Matt

3 Comments:

  • At 9/03/2005 6:12 PM, Blogger Troy Alexander said…

    Wed-Sat without sleep, that is insane! Try not to focus so much on the monkey-lovin going on outside and lay your head down. haha. Hope you're having a good time bro.

     
  • At 9/03/2005 6:37 PM, Blogger Mike Levin said…

    Hey Matt have fun in Dar Es Salaam and take care of yourself. Try to take lots of pictures, especially of the monkeys. Maybe you can befriend one...but you probably shouldnt since they might try to attack you. Keep up the blogging, we are all reading it. But send an update email every now and then. Take Care!

     
  • At 9/03/2005 7:19 PM, Anonymous Emily Timbol said…

    I'm glad you got there safely, I hope you are sleeping right now. You know that if you go three days without sleep you can start to hallucinate....maybe theire AREN'T monkeys outside your window..hmm. Well have a great time and don't forget to take good notes! haha

     

Post a Comment

<< Home