A Gator in Dar Es Salaam

"Ex Africa semper aliquid novi - Out of Africa always something new" -Pliny the Elder

Friday, October 07, 2005

Friday

I started classes yesterday so that has been kind of nice. I am taking Swahili, History of North Africa, History of Globalization, Politics of development, and something else. On Wednesday I went and played frisbee with some local missionaries from the US. That was fun, but the most physically exerting thing I have done since I have been here, so Im a little sore. My earliest class is at 11 and the times are still being moved around. I love more than ever the way UF does its class registration, so easy, no complications. The second place soccer team in the Tanzanian league practices everyday at our school, so I watched them the other day. I guess that would be like sitting 20 feet away from the Pittsburgh Steelers and watch them practice any day, kind of cool. Been busy getting used to classes and the internet cafe on campus has been packed, so I might not be able to update this site as much as I would like. At a wazungu hotel right now using their internet. I think Im gonna go out to dinner at a new place tonight. I got my stipend from the University here, I paid for it as part of my program but it was nice to get right now. It was 750.00 US which is 843,000 TSH. Which are stashed in various places around my room, like in Blow. I have 200 2,000 bills, so I was walking around with an envelope full of cash, I pretty much felt like a pirate. So I got cash money, and now Im gonna go spend it, have a good weekend. Go Cardinals, and maybe the Gators, Jaguars, and Blues will win this week.


Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home