A Gator in Dar Es Salaam

"Ex Africa semper aliquid novi - Out of Africa always something new" -Pliny the Elder

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Weekend

I hope everyone had a great Mwalimu Julius Nyerere Day on Friday. He was the founding father of Tanzania and is revered by every single person in Tanzania I think. Anyway we got his birthday off and I spent the day like Nyerere would have wanted...by going to the beach.

Thursday night I had Indian food for the first time, lots of Indian places in Dar and this was a pretty good one, apparently. The food is great, very spicy, but a nice change of pace. I got up at 7 to pay my respects to Nyerere, i.e. leave campus to go to the beach. I went to Kipepeyo Beach which takes about 2 hours to get to, by 4 different transports. I went about a month ago, but this time I stayed in a little bungalow right on the beach on Friday night. It was very nice, only 20,000 TSH for a double room, and literally right on the beach. Got a good bit of sun, and pretty much just relaxed on Friday and Saturday, before stopping off in town for a late lunch and then returning to campus. It is definitely nice to get away from campus for a few days. Not sure what I have planned for this week, but Im going to try to make it up to Nairobi, Kenya in a few weeks to see some friends there. I think it is about a 14 hour bus ride, so that should be fun, but I would like to see another of East Africa's biggest cities. I guess thats about it, the beach is beautiful, greenish-blue water, white sand, very picturesque. Have a nice week.

Matt

3 Comments:

  • At 10/16/2005 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Matt,
    Your writing shows you have already matured from this process.

    It's clear you are having a great experience!

    Thanks for sharing with us!

    Dave

     
  • At 10/19/2005 4:48 AM, Anonymous stephanie howard said…

    Hi Matt-

    I am a friend of Jenna Lewis' from Boulder and will be moving to Dar es Salaam in January for the semester. Jenna hooked me up with the link to your blog to get some idea what I'm in for, but I'd love to email you some specific questions as well, if you don't mind? I would be so greatful for your perspective on the area, but understand you're not around email all the time- just thought it was worth a try. If you're okay with answering my questions, please send me your email address when you get a second and I'll send the questions your way. Thanks so much!

    stephanie howard
    stephlhoward@gmail.com

     
  • At 10/19/2005 6:15 AM, Anonymous Christina said…

    The beach sounds great. And I LOVE Indian food, I'm jealous that you get the real thing! I hope that you are having a really good time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home