A Gator in Dar Es Salaam

"Ex Africa semper aliquid novi - Out of Africa always something new" -Pliny the Elder

Sunday, November 13, 2005

The Serengeti...And My Rant

Being in Tanzania is by far the best thing I have ever done in my life. No other decision comes even comparably close. I spent last weekend on a once in a lifetime trip to the Serengeti, a trip, that if I so desired I could take next weekend for a minimal cost. Being here for over 2 months now, and having decided that I will be in East Africa till the beginning of March atleast (including stops in Mombassa, Nairobi, Kampala, Kigali, Mwanza, Addis Ababba, Lusaka, Lake Victoria, Victoria Falls, Stone Town, and other places) has broadened my horizons to a pretty spectacular point. Being here and talking with people who live on the other side of the world(+8 hours from EST and +9 from Grandma, Grandpa, na Chuck na Linda). It is time for people in the United States to wake up. I'm not someone who studies abroad and constantly criticizes the United States(their are very few countries in the world that offer a study abroad program in East Africa).

The rest of the world knows that our President is not an overly intelligent person. With an approval rating of 37% its hard to argue that W represents a majority of Americans. We are in Iraq and I don't advocate just bailing out, but this adminstration has lied from the get go, and if you're still buying the rhetoric, then I don't know what to tell you, but the rest of the world gets it and sees what is happening. If you believe in Hell, then you must expect to see George W. Bush on the seat next to Lucifer. Sorry, but preaching Christian values and practicing them in real life are two different tales. Sorry for the rant, also Im so glad I havent had to deal with any T.O. bullshit, celebrity babies, other things that dont effect anyone's life...............on to my supersweet trip

Woke up early on Sunday(about 5 A.M.) We got our room and there was maybe 40 bugs in it, nice Im sure but nonetheless they were there. So Sam swept them out, and we were doing ok. The shower wasnt working, but it happens. We got up at about 5:30. Waited for our safari gari(car/jeep) for a while, haha. Nothing happens to fast and we were rolling by 7. Stopped for a quick breakfast. Have to mention that when we went to sleep, it was in the middle of the Serengeti. And even going to the bathroom, which is not a big deal, you could hear the Hyenas and wild dogs in the background that would gladly rip out any bone marrow that was available.

Sorry, Internet is 'bout to go out, but I will finish my post of Serengeti hopefully tommorow. The most beautiful place on Earth, quite possibly, Go Jags................Matthew L. Stacy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home